A trip in Seoul is never complete without a visit in the shopping district of Myeongdong. The two main boulevards come across in the centre of a frenzy shopping block with one from Myeongdong Subway Station and the other from Lotte Department Store at Euljiro. The shopping is never ending from luxury brands in Lotte and Shinsegae department stores to great bargains on small, made up stalls in the alleys. Clothes, jewellery and novelty shops, in international and Korean brands are everywhere. International brands like Uniqlo, H&M, Zara, American Apparel, Forever 21 and Gap are to name a few. It is packed in the evenings with store employees from the beauty shops having different gimmicks to attract customers including giving freebies ( I had heaps after I bought a pair of nail clippers in one of the shops). Cafes and restaurants are also available but try some street food, they are cheap and delicious. Just be careful when walking through the crowd because sometimes cars and motorbikes drive through the sea of people.
One time I saw a sign that a Kpop group is coming to one of the shops. The only thing I can read was Tony Moly (another beauty products shop) and 2PM. I told my friend that I am going to see a famous Kpop boyband but I don’t know the name. It was almost 3PM and there is no boyband yet, so much for the big 2PM in the poster.
The crowd was intense and people are queueing for the meet and greet. And as I push through the crowd, I saw a closer look at the poster with a little bit of English and lo and behold the name of the group was actually 2PM. Anyway they arrived at 3PM emerging from big black, heavily tinted vehicles. The crowd went wild and some of girls cried when they waved at them.
How to get to Myeongdong :
- Myeongdong 2-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul
- Line 4, Myeongdong Station, Exit 1
- Line 2, Euljiro 1(il)-ga Station, Exit 1
- Get off at Euljiro1(il)-ga Station and Lotte Department Bus Stop.
– Green Bus No. 7017, 7021, 7022
– Blue Bus No. 100, 143, 151, 152, 202, 261, 405, 701, 702A, 702B
– Express Bus No. 1005-1, 1150, 5000, 5005, 7900, 8800, 9000, 9001, 9003, 9007
– Red Bus No. 2500, 9401, 9701, M4101, M4102, M4108, 5115
– Airport Bus No. 6001, 6015
- Get off Myeong-dong Station Bus Stop.
– Green Bus: No. 7011
– Blue Bus: No. 104, 105, 421, 463, 507, 604
– Express Bus: No. 1005-1, 1150, 5000, 5005, 5007, 5500, 5500-1, 5500-2, 8800, 9000, 9001, 9003, 9007
– Red Bus: No. M4101, M4102, M4108
– Airport Bus: No. 6001, 6015